Monday, February 20, 2012

DNS Servers and VPNs!

So over the last week I've been trying to optimize my internet connection via finding a 'smart' DNS routing system.

Now with this 'smart' DNS routing system, the company that does it has placed servers in several countries that either cache the site (Storing a recent version of the site so that it can be retrieved faster) or route the user through the most efficient ways on the internet without any back log.

I use a service called Open DNS. They are coincidentally based right here in San Francisco!
OpenDNS

And so far I have noticed a very small difference in speed but none to make me say "Hey I'll pay for it" well it's free anyway!

Moving on to VPN's....

I come from Dubai, UAE and back home the Internet is censored and at times is slow depending on where the website is hosted.

Here is the speed I get from my apartment here in San Francisco to a server in the city:
 And here's the speed I get from San Francisco to Dubai:

So yes there's a HUGE advantage to living in the USA due to almost everything being hosted here but also there are many disadvantages as well (Hint hint government domain seizures...)

With that being said, there is a service called OpenVPN - OpenVPN

The website looks like one of those sketchy types but I have been told its legit. The idea here is that I want to form a VPN network between my apartment in the US and my house in Dubai and with that my parents are guaranteed uncensored internet and maybe a speed increase (Hopefully!!)

However I still need to mess with trying to configure the VPN and see what I can do about linking my apartment and my house back in Dubai. Luckily though I do have an existing VPN via Hamachi but that is only limited me accessing my systems back home via VNC Viewer so they still do not get uncensored internet. Yet.

So until then I will try to find time this week to play around and once I get it running I hope to post on the results!

Peace out! :)

mooder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Blog by Mahmood Arjomand is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.mooderstechblog.blogspot.com.